Tuesday, May 25, 2010

About humans

I'm not much of a believer in the supernatural. By that I mean I am sure there is no such thing, but almost by definition. To me, if it exists then it is part of nature and therefore not supernatural.

Along the same line of thought, I really try to keep a hold on what being human means. We are part of nature. I will tell you what the difference is between humans and animals as soon as you tell me what the difference is between dogs and animals... or between apples and fruits...

We are animals. There is no difference. Now, there are differences between humans and other animals just like there are differences between apples and other fruits.
Therefore I contend that anything we create is as natural as honey. From plastics to nuclear waste, nothing more than a byproduct of our species.

Are plastics and nuclear waste and global warming 'good' or are they 'bad'? That opens a whole different can of worms regarding 'good' vs. 'bad', a topic which I will bring up in a different post.

1 comment:

  1. yeah i guess after Nietzsche's beyond Good and Evil, morality was never the same again. we will just have to wait for your next post.

    Wittgenstein also said "The World is whatever the case" which is think is an enlightening statement, in the context of what you are saying here.

    ReplyDelete